Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Celery's Sacrifice.

Last night, I was making dinner. I cut off the bottom of a celery stalk and looked at it. It was kind of beautiful. It looked like this:

I thought "I am the first person to see this. I am now going to throw this in my compost pile, where it will wither and decompose into dirt, never to be seen or even thought of again. That means I am going to be the only person ever to see this."

A ping of regret hit me. Poor celery heart, destined to die and be devoured in such obscurity. It was planted, raised, and killed just to be chopped up and cooked. I ran and showed it to Rachel so she could see it too.

Then, I took a picture and put it here, for you to see.

There, I don't feel bad any more.

2 comments:

  1. These make beautiful stamps. Next time dip it paint and stamp it on paper. You can do it with the bottom of romaine lettuce, too. Then it's not just wasted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...or you can dip it in ranch and eat as much of it as you can, then you can say it lived to the fullness of its measure. Don't be sad about throwing the rest away its the circle of life, Mufasa didn't get buried did he?

    ReplyDelete